How to Write Ecommerce Product Text That Converts
Ecommerce product descriptions are not just an afterthought. They’re one of the most important factors in the conversion process. Your product page is your only opportunity to connect with your customers. The copy you choose to use should excite them and make them want to spend their money on your products. Fortunately, there are a lot of resources available for ecommerce sellers when it comes to writing great product descriptions. In this post, we’ll go over some examples of effective product descriptions, as well as tips for creating compelling content that will lead to increased conversions on your site.
What’s so important about product text?
The short answer is: everything. Product descriptions are the most important part of your ecommerce store because they are the initial point of contact between you and your customers. The better your descriptions, the more likely people are to buy from you. Conversion rates can increase by as much as 8% for every 10 words added to a product page. This means that you can increase your sales by hundreds or even thousands of dollars by spending a little extra time on your product descriptions. Beyond sales, product descriptions also help you connect with new customers and build your brand. With great product descriptions, you can share your brand story and connect with people on a personal level. You can show them why they should buy from you and why your products are the best.
How to write effective ecommerce product text
Your first instinct may be to just write a few paragraphs about your product and call it a day. While this is better than nothing, it’s not going to get you very far. If your goal is to convert customers and encourage purchases, your product copy has to meet certain criteria. Your product copy should be:
- Concise – You don’t have a lot of space to work with on the product page. In fact, the average product description is around 100 words long. So, it’s important that you get your point across while fitting it into that limited space.
- Specific – You want to grab your reader’s attention right away. To do this, you should include specific details about your product that will stand out and catch the attention of potential buyers.
- Emotional – You want your customers to feel something when they read your product copy. Specifically, you want them to feel motivated to buy your product.
9 simple tips for better ecommerce product descriptions
- Keep it short – We mentioned this above, but it bears repeating. You don’t need to write an essay about every single product you list. Just use a few sentences to describe it and get your point across.
- Be specific – Include details about your product and its features that will stand out and help it to stand out from the competition.
- Be descriptive – Avoid bland, vague product descriptions and instead use words that excite people and help them to connect with your product.
- Use keywords – Your product descriptions are not just for you and your customers. They are also for Google’s bots, which scan your site and use the content on your pages to determine what your site is about.
- Tell a story – You want to build a connection with your customers. One of the best ways to do this is to tell a story. Tell your customers why they need your product and why they should buy it from you.
- Include a call to action – Your product descriptions are a great place to include a call to action. You can tell your customers what you want them to do next, like adding the product to their cart or signing up for your email list.
- Be visual – One of the best ways to make your product descriptions more engaging is to include images with your text. Images can help to break up some of the monotony associated with reading product descriptions and make your page more visually appealing.
- Be consistent – When writing product descriptions for your store, it’s important to be consistent. Make sure you follow a formula for your product descriptions that you can use for all your products, even if they are different types.
- Use different styles – It’s important to be consistent with your product descriptions, but it’s also important to mix it up a bit. You don’t want all of your product descriptions to sound the same.
3 best practices for converting with product text
- Focus on your customer – Rather than writing a bunch of product descriptions, focus on your customer instead. Take some time to understand who they are and what they need.
- Turn your product pages into a blog post – A great way to connect with customers and build your brand is to turn your product page into a blog post. You can even go so far as to include a call to action at the end of your product description asking people to comment on the post and let you know what they think.
- Don’t forget about SEO – Your product pages are not just for your customers and Google. They are also for potential customers who are searching for products like yours. Make sure that your product descriptions are optimized for SEO so that these people can find you as well.
Your ecommerce product text is one of the most important aspects of your store. It’s the only way to connect with your customers and tell them why they should buy from you. You want to make sure that your product descriptions are compelling and get your point across. This will help you to increase sales and build your brand. To create better product descriptions, you have to understand your audience and what they want to read. If you do that, writing great product copy will be a breeze.